Who we are
Based in South West London, the Surbiton and Kingston Mountaineering Club was founded and recognised by the BMC (British Mountaineering Council) in 1980. Having been around for over 35 years, there is a wealth of experience within the club and a diverse set of climbing interests. So whether you enjoy climbing at the wall, or you prefer getting out on some real rock, snow and ice, you'll always find willing climbing partners at SAKMC.
The club has a diverse and active membership spanning all backgrounds and ages and during the course of the year around 20 organised meets take place. These range from winter hut trips for the brave and hardy - often with ice routes (weather permitting), to summer camping trips all around the country. During the summer months there are two trips a month with meet venues ranging from The Cornish coast to the Lake District and everywhere in between. Our meets calendar is publicly readable as are our meet reports so take look and see what we get up to.
We have grown every year for the last 5 years and passed 100 members in July 2016. Our members have a wide range of interests, experience and ages living all over the country with a core group of members in and around Surrey. Meets are always well attended and once the climbing stops you'll find our members to be very sociable, whether it be around the campfire or in a local pub.
Membership for 2016 is unchanged at £22 for the calendar year (that's less than £2 per month) which is payable by annual Direct Debit. Membership includes the following:
- Club Affiliated BMC Membership with an annual copy of Summit magazine
- BMC 3rd Party Insurance
- £8 peak entry at White Spider climbing wall on Tuesdays.
- 10% BMC Shop discount and 10-15% off at most outdoor retailers
- 15% Discount at Cotswold Outdoor stores
- 15% Discount in-store at Snow and Rock Covent Garden
- 20% Discount at Elite Mountain Supplies
- Access to Members only section of the site including the full meet galleries
- About 20 organised meets per year including mountain hut bookings in winter
- Members email lists for climbing related contact, belay partners, ad-hoc meets etc.
- Attendance of the AGM and annual dinner with the chance to volunteer or help steer the club's future.
Joining the Club
The only requirement of our constitution is that you are over 18 and competent to climb. This means any adult is welcome to join the club, and share in the fun provided that you have enough experience to put on a harness, tie in to a rope and belay reliably and safely.
Every Tuesday and Thursday evening there’s a group of us who climb indoors at the White Spider climbing wall at Tolworth from 7 till 10. Club members receive a concessionary entry rate on Tuesdays. On the third Tuesday of the month some of us stop early and you can find us in the Royal Oak in Surbiton from about 9pm. Come along to the wall or the pub and say hello or alternatively get in touch via our Contact Page. You can also reach us on our facebook page where you can view some of our recent meets.