Surbiton and Kingston Mountaineering Club (SAKMC) takes your privacy seriously. We are a "controller" of the personal information that you provide to us and this privacy notice sets out how, why and for how long we will use your personal data, as well as who it is shared with. It also explains your legal rights as a data subject and how to exercise them.
What we need from you
When you register as a member of SAKMC or renew your membership, we may ask you for some or all of the following personal information:
- Contact details: Name, address, email address and phone number.
- Date of birth: To verify eligibility for club membership, events and courses.
- Participation details: Whether you are an existing BMC or White Spider member.
- Next of kin details, in case of emergency.
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need this may affect our ability to offer you our membership services and benefits.
Why we need your personal information
We need to collect our members’ personal information so that we can manage your relationship with us. We may use our members’ personal information to:
- Provide you with core member services, including confirmation of membership, membership card, end of year renewal.
- Set up an online membership account enabling you to access members-only content and manage your membership and communication preferences.
- Organise club activities and manage risk and safety.
- Register your membership with the BMC, to provide you with insurance cover, magazine subscription and other benefits they offer to members of clubs.
We also process our members’ personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- Provide you with news and updates about the activity of the club, opportunities to get involved in club meets, training, general meetings or other events.
- Raise awareness of the club’s activities by capturing photos, videos, or live streaming at events. We will use this for promotion, education and development purposes.
- Respond to and investigate your questions, comments, support needs, complaints, concerns or allegations.
Who we share your personal information with
As a BMC-affiliated club we will provide your name, contact details and date of birth to the BMC to administer your membership of the BMC including your combined liability insurance cover. The BMC will use your data to communicate with you about your membership. The BMC will contact you to invite you to create a 'Member Profile' which, amongst other things, allows you to set and amend your privacy settings. More information about how the BMC uses data can be found at www.thebmc.co.uk/privacy.
Other SAKMC members
SAKMC operates a number of mailing lists to facilitate communication between members. If you use a club mailing list to send a message, your name and email address will be shared with all recipients.
Third party suppliers
SAKMC may use third party suppliers to provide services. These suppliers may process personal data on our behalf as "processors" and are subject to contractual conditions to only process that personal information under our instructions and protect it.
In the event that we share personal information with external third parties, we only share such information strictly required for the specific purposes and take reasonable steps to ensure recipients shall only process the disclosed personal information in accordance with those purposes.
- GoCardless collect payments for us via Direct Debit, including membership fees, hut fees and other event fees. Your email address will be shared with them in order to set up the Direct Debit, however your bank details will not be stored or passed via SAKMC, but will be collected and processed directly by GoCardless.
- SparkPost distribute our email communications, including member-to-member messages via the club mailing lists. Their servers are based in the US and they uphold the EU Privacy Shield to certify their data security.
- Instructors, coaches and event organisers may receive details of participants.
How we protect your personal information
Your personal information is accessed by our elected committee members only for the purposes set out above. It is stored electronically by our club in Google Cloud, providing a comprehensive set of technical measures to keep your personal information secure. This allows your data to only be shared with a subset of the committee, on a need-to-know basis.
- The club webmaster has full access to all personal data stored by SAKMC.
- The club membership secretary only has access to membership records.
- Other committee members may be granted temporary access to your data in order to fulfill their role as a club officer.
How long we keep your personal information
We only keep your personal information for as long as necessary to provide you with membership services. We will review and delete your personal information where you have not renewed your membership with us. Your data will be deleted within 3 months of termination of membership.
You have a right to:
- Change your communication preferences or restrict the processing of your personal data for specific purposes.
- Request that we correct your personal data if you believe it is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Access the personal data that we hold about you through a “subject access request”.
- Request that we delete your personal information.
You can contact us using our Contact Form.
If you are dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office at www.ico.org.uk.